Reports to: Head of Prep and Head of Preschool
Mount Kelly School Hong Kong provides a new and exciting opportunity for parents in Hong Kong. Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will provide an excellent foundation for learning that will develop pupils to become independent, well grounded, confident and ready to face the challenges ahead. Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will promote educational excellence and tradition through a forward-thinking, all-round curriculum within which the needs of individual pupils are fostered.
Mount Kelly School Hong Kong as Hong Kong’s first British Preparatory School for boys and girls aged 5-14. We are proud of our strong links with Mount Kelly School, a leading independent school in England and we share in their tradition of excellence and the core values that they embody. The ethos of the school is one of excellence within a supportive and family orientated environment. Mount Kelly provides academic success together with broad opportunities in music, art, drama, and sport provide an all-round education.
We are fortunate to have been able to draw on their educational expertise and utilise these in a new exciting school, incorporating the very best of British independent education. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will, as far as possible, adopt the values, ethos and learning opportunities offered to the pupils in the UK school. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will closely follow the policies and schemes of work, that Mount Kelly UK currently use. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will endeavour to offer a very similar education to its sister school, but within a Hong Kong setting.
The curriculum of our school will follow closely the English National Curriculum and school environment, using the National Curriculum as a framework but facilitated within the context of Hong Kong and our International cohort of pupils.
We’re looking to appoint staff who understand the expectations of working at an Independent UK school in an international setting. All our teachers will have a UK recognised qualification and either current UK or prior UK teaching experience. Many of our staff will be joining us directly from the UK.
We are committed to providing very strong academic standards, combined with an outstanding range of co-curricular activities and superb pastoral care. We firmly believe in offering children every opportunity to benefit from a genuinely well-rounded education. Each child will be encouraged to fulfil his or her own potential in both curricular and co-curricular activities. In order to do this, Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will run an extended day, incorporating sport and co-curricular activities to meet these aims
The post to ensure that the Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) provision is provided in an efficient and effective manner across both the Preschool and the Prep School.
The SENCO will assume responsibility for the day to day operation of provision made by the school for pupils with SEN. The role will provide professional guidance in the area of SEN in order to secure appropriate provision for the pupils. There will be a requirement to respect the needs of confidentiality at all times when handling sensitive information.
• Delivering support lessons according to the specific educational needs of the pupils, at the times stipulated
• Arrange for assessment by Educational Psychologists where applicable
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with pupils and colleagues
• Ensure that teachers are informed of pupils individual needs and know how to support and take responsibility for those with specific learning difficulties (SpLD) in the classroom
• Maintain an open line of communication with parents of pupils identified SpLD and always investigate any concerns
• Conduct assessments for exam access arrangements
• Inform teaching staff of classroom support strategies
• Liaise with staff about exam access arrangements and ensure that all the documentation is kept up to date
• Maintain the Additional Learning Needs Register SpDL
• Monitor progress of pupils with SpLD that are not in extra lessons
• Record information onto management information system
• Review and update department handbook as required
• Maintain links with other professionals to keep knowledge updated
• Be proficient in the use of IT for supporting pupils
• Attending Parents’ Evening to discuss pupils’ progress with parents, if required
• Assisting with the writing IEPs that will target pupils’ specific curricular needs
• Contribute to whole staff Inset, Induction and ensure a high profile for communication with staff
• Any other duties as required by the Head of campuses.
Health and Safety
• Maintain a safe and positive teaching and learning environment. Complete relevant paperwork as directed.
• Teachers are required to take reasonable care for his/her own health and safety and abide by the School’s Health & Safety policy.
• Safeguard the well-being of the pupils in his/her charge.
• Encourage pupils to value themselves and others in the quality and nature of their learning.
• Set an example to all pupils by showing a personal attitude of co-operation, consideration and positive relationships with all members of the School.
• Meet with parents as required by the day to day educational, social and welfare needs of his/her pupils.
• Be familiar with the contents of all School Policies, especially Child Protection issues.
• Participate in the School’s Appraisal system as per the Staff Development Policy.
• Attend internal and external training courses and INSET as directed by the Senior Management Team, whenever other teaching commitments allow. Provide feedback to colleagues on courses attended.
If you are interested in the exciting prospects of working at Mount Kelly School Hong Kong, please contact us in confidence by sending your CV with photograph and Application Form to email@example.com. For regular updates and information about when we will be advertising in major educational publications, please check our website and social media.
MKSHK is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening background checks as part of their pre-employment enquiries.