Chinese Language Teacher
Reports to: Head of Prep and Preschool
Mount Kelly School Hong Kong provides a new and exciting opportunity for parents in Hong Kong. Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will provide an excellent foundation for learning that will develop pupils to become independent, well grounded, confident and ready to face the challenges ahead. Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will promote educational excellence and tradition through a forward-thinking, all-round curriculum within which the needs of individual pupils are fostered.
Mount Kelly School Hong Kong as Hong Kong’s first British Preparatory School for boys and girls aged 5-14. We are proud of our strong links with Mount Kelly School, a leading independent school in England and we share in their tradition of excellence and the core values that they embody. The ethos of the school is one of excellence within a supportive and family orientated environment. Mount Kelly provides academic success together with broad opportunities in music, art, drama, and sport provide an all-round education.
We are fortunate to have been able to draw on their educational expertise and utilise
these in a new exciting school, incorporating the very best of British independent education. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will, as far as possible, adopt the values, ethos and learning opportunities offered to the pupils in the UK school. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will closely follow the policies and schemes of work, that Mount Kelly UK currently use. Mount Kelly Hong Kong will endeavour to offer a very similar education to its sister school, but within a Hong Kong setting.
The curriculum of our school will follow closely the English National Curriculum and school environment, using the National Curriculum as a framework but facilitated within the context of Hong Kong and our International cohort of pupils.
We’re looking to appoint staff who understand the expectations of working at an Independent UK school in an international setting. All our teachers will have a UK recognised qualification and either current UK or prior UK teaching experience. Many of our staff will be joining us directly from the UK.
We are committed to providing very strong academic standards, combined with an outstanding range of co-curricular activities and superb pastoral care. We firmly believe in offering children every opportunity to benefit from a genuinely well-rounded education. Each child will be encouraged to fulfil his or her own potential in both curricular and co-curricular activities. In order to do this, Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will run an extended day, incorporating sport and co-curricular activities to meet these aims.
An enthusiastic and dynamic Chinese language teacher is required to join an outstanding teaching team at Mount Kelly School in Hong Kong. This is an exciting opportunity and offers many benefits for a teacher who is keen to seek a new adventure and broaden their career prospects. A highly attractive package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Applications are invited from practitioners who are passionate about implementing an inspiring Mandarin curriculum and extra-curricular programme in a vibrant learning environment. The post will involve teaching pupils in our Preschool and Prep School.
Candidates should be highly resourceful, forward-thinking professionals who are actively aware of the latest developments in modern language/Mandarin teaching, so that they can provide the best learning opportunities for pupils.
At least 2 years of specialist Mandarin teaching experience is required in the U.K., Hong Kong or elsewhere, preferably with time spent in an international school, regardless of nationality. All applicants should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education or a first degree and a post-graduate qualification in education (i.e. PGCE).
Mount Kelly School in Hong Kong provides a new and exciting opportunity for parents in Hong Kong. Mount Kelly School Hong Kong will provide an excellent foundation for learning that will develop pupils to become independent, well grounded, confident and ready to face the challenges ahead.
Mount Kelly Hong Kong will promote educational excellence and tradition through a forward-thinking, all-round curriculum within which the needs of individual pupils are fostered.
Teaching and learning responsibilities.
• Provide high quality Chinese language teaching to all pupils with a variety of approaches to stimulate interest in the subject matter and enable learning, whilst having appropriate regard to the differentiation and inclusivity needs of all pupils. Produce and make available appropriate schemes of work. Ensure that assessment forms part of the initial planning of work.
• To apply different approaches to structured learning opportunities in line with the priorities for development within the School.
• Actively engage in curriculum development in line with the School’s aims and objectives alongside subject specialism requirements.
• Ensure that teaching areas provide tidy, well-organised and stimulating environments for learning.
• Carry out regular, appropriate assessments of pupils’ attainment and progress. Communicate the assessment results to all groups that need to know, as agreed by the School.
• Attend teacher meetings as required by the Head Master and whenever other commitments allow.
• To participate in Parent Meetings as outlined in the academic calendar and pertinent to his/her subject specialism, whenever other teaching commitments allow.
• Implement the School Assessment, Recording and Reporting Policy to include delivery, feedback, tracking and target setting in order to promote pupil progression, achievement and retention.
• Liaise and work collaboratively with other subject specialist staff in the School to ensure consistency and efficiency in the implementation of the School Teaching and Learning Policy.
• Make teaching and learning documentation available for internal and external inspection.
• Manage departmental resources within allocated spending limits and within the guidelines of the School’s purchase order system.
• Act as a positive role model to pupils.
• Administer and implement the School reward and sanctions system.
• Liaise with and report to the Deputy (Pastoral) on issues pertaining to the well-being of all pupils.
• Promote and encourage exemplary social skills within peer, public and friendship groups.
• Be the first line of implementation of the School Code and Anti-Bullying Policy, responding appropriately to incidents of unacceptable behaviour.
Health and Safety
• Maintain a safe and positive teaching and learning environment. Complete relevant paperwork as directed.
• Teachers are required to take reasonable care for his/her own health and safety and abide by the School’s Health & Safety policy.
• Safeguard the well-being of the pupils in his/her charge.
• Encourage pupils to value themselves and others in the quality and nature of their learning.
• Set an example to all pupils by showing a personal attitude of co-operation, consideration and positive relationships with all members of the School.
• Meet with parents as required by the day to day educational, social and welfare needs of his/her pupils.
• Be familiar with the contents of all School Policies, especially Child Protection issues.
• Participate in the School’s Appraisal system as per the Staff Development Policy.
• Attend internal and external training courses and INSET as directed by the Senior Management Team, whenever other teaching commitments allow. Provide feedback to colleagues on courses attended.
If you are interested in the exciting prospects of working at Mount Kelly School Hong Kong, please contact us in confidence by sending your CV with photograph and Application Form to email@example.com. For regular updates and information about when we will be advertising in major educational publications, please check our website and social media.
MKSHK is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Candidates must be prepared to undergo child protection screening background checks as part of their pre-employment enquiries.